Log in

Brits Americans
Getting supporting documents for a UK fiancee visa 
27th-Nov-2009 10:46 am [immigration (to uk), moving to the uk, visas]
default, monkey
Sorry if this is patiently explained somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it...

The other half (aka shove_this_job is applying for a fiancee visa to join me in the UK. I understand that I, as the sponsor, will need to provide a shedload of supporting documents (passport, bank statements, mortgage, wage slips etc.)

- Do I provide originals or notarized copies?
- Will these be sent in the post or will she present them at an interview at the Chicago consulate?
- Should I (as the Brit) prepare to go to an interview somewhere in the UK to support her application? Do I then need to bring my original versions of these supporting documents?
- Is there a definitive list of these supporting documents?

Ta for your help :)

27th-Nov-2009 11:06 am (UTC)
1.) Everything should be originals if you can swing it. If you can't provide something in it's original form, it can be certified by a solicitor in the UK. I know a few people who have chosen to send certified copies of their passports instead of the original since everything has to be sent to the US, and it can be scary to send an original passport that far away from home, if that's something you're concerned about.

2.) She will have to send her supporting documents by post to the consulate--or if she chooses, she can use a visa expediter. Expediters are companies that are approved by the UKBA to hand deliver applications to the consulate, in which case they are 'put to the head of the line' and generally processed before applications that have been delivered by post. (If you want more information, browse the visa boards at uk-yankee.com, there's posts specifically about expediters, how they work, and reviews of specific expediters for specific consulates).

3.) They won't ask to interview you during the application process; everything is handled in the US, and they make their decision based on the documents supplied. They may very well call her if they have any questions or need clarifications of any kind, but they don't specifically interview anybody for fiance/spousal visas in the US.

4.) There's no definitive list for things you need to provide for a fiance/spousal visa (that I know of anyway), but it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you need. You'll need to show that you have intentions to get married and that you've met before (i.e. photos together, a few phone bills, etc), that you have suitable accomodation that isn't overcrowded (i.e. mortgage paperwork, rental agreements) and that you can support yourselves without recourse to public funds on her behalf (i.e. bank statements, wage slips).

If you have any other questions, I'd definitely suggest browsing around uk-yankee.com's forums. There's loads of good info and advice on there--good luck with the application :)
27th-Nov-2009 11:11 am (UTC)
And since I'm made of fail and can't edit my comment :(

Another option for the passport is for you to send your fiance your long-form birth certificate and a color photocopy of your passport ID page. In that case, the ECO can see that you're indeed British (since it not only lists where you were born but your parents), which is the main thing they're looking for (since the basis of your fiancee's visa application is going to be marriage to a British citizen). My husband ordered his long form certificate from the county he was born in and gave me that with a photocopy of his passport and it worked since he wasn't keen on sending me his original (my application was for a spousal visa, but it works with fiance applications as well).
27th-Nov-2009 12:16 pm (UTC)

Don't forget pictures of the two of you together! I completely forgot this when I was applying, but got lucky - as I included my email address, the embassy emailed me to request pictures, and were fine with taking digital pictures. :)
27th-Nov-2009 02:25 pm (UTC)
If you're planning to get married in a couple of months anyway, I would personally just do the legal ceremony and do a spousal visa. That way, your fiancee is able to work immediately upon arrival in the UK. With the fiancee visa, she can't work until you are married and I believe there's a wait time of up to 6/7 weeks when I last checked in December. Unless your wife doesn't plan to work, of course, but I was desperate to work and so we went the marriage visa route.

Best of luck! Uk-yankee is an incredible resource.
28th-Nov-2009 09:32 am (UTC)
This page was loaded Dec 8th 2016, 5:54 am GMT.